Sick Child Visits in Memphis, TN
Is your child sick or is not feeling well? At All Better Pediatrics, our pediatricians take care of your sick child and provide medical care for your child. You can always visit us at 1102 Brookfield Road, Suite 200 Memphis, TN 38119. For more details, please call us or schedule an online appointment with us.
Table of Contents:
As if having children wasn’t stressful enough at the best of times, when they are sick that stress becomes magnified! It is easy to assume the worst when your child develops concerning symptoms, but the best thing to do is bring them in to see a trained pediatrician like ours at All Better Pediatrics who can calm your concerns and provide expert treatment for your child.
The younger your child is, the more difficult it can be to know if you should bring them in to see their pediatrician. Newborns often get the sniffles or sneezes from microbes on things they put in their mouths that are unfamiliar to their microbiome system. Usually, this is no cause for concern. However, if your newborn under three months old has a fever of 100.4°F or higher, it is vital that they receive immediate medical attention either at All Better Pediatrics or at the nearest urgent care facility or emergency room. The following are some more guidelines for when it is smart to bring your child in for a pediatric appointment:
– If they are three to six months old with a fever of 101.0°F or higher
– If they are over six months old with a temperature of 103.0 or higher
– Your child’s fever persists despite taking anti-fever medication
– A temperature of 104.0°F to 105.0°F in a child of any age
– If your child has a compromised immune system and develops a fever
– A fever that is accompanied with severe pain
– A fever that continues for three consecutive days
– If your child is having difficulty breathing, refuses to eat, is overly lethargic, or has a concerning rash without any known cause
– If your child experiences a seizure due to a spike in temperature or an infection
– If your child develops fever while overseas or upon their return from a trip overseas
– If they experience a fever and sore throat simultaneously for 24 to 48 hours
– If their fever is accompanied with painful urination
– If their fever is accompanied with red or purple spots on their skin, a headache, or a stiff neck
The main difference between a sick child visit and a well-child visit is that while a sick child visit will focus on diagnosing and treating the specific ailment or illness that brings your child to the pediatric clinic, a well-child visit will focus on the overall health of their whole body, mental, and emotional well-being for preventative measures. As such, well-child visits are routinely scheduled either annually or throughout the year, depending on your child’s age, to check up on how they are doing in multiple aspects of their health. In contrast, sick child visits are scheduled whenever your child is unwell to help them get back to health with whatever is ailing them.
At your child’s sick visit, their pediatrician will want to know as much information as possible about their symptoms and potential illness to arrive at an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the proper treatment that will help your child get back to health. As such, be prepared to answer questions about the nature of your child’s symptoms, such as when they began and how they range in severity. If the pediatrician is unfamiliar with your family history and that of your child, they will also want to have a good grasp of those histories to help them diagnose and treat the symptoms. Depending on the specific reason for your child’s sick visit, they may also perform palpation, which is a manual, hands-on technique to check if their bodily organs, muscles, and tissues are all in order, and monitor your child’s vital signs. In total, your child’s sick visit should take around 15 to 30 minutes.
If your little one feels under the weather or has some worrisome symptoms, bring them to All Better Pediatrics, where they will receive the utmost care and kindness from our great pediatric staff! You can schedule an appointment with us through our website or call us.
Additional Services You May Need